Implementing Volunteer Management Platform at RMHC Jax
Already have an account? Login
Internship Program Synopsis
The Ronald McDonald House Charity of Jacksonville (RMHC Jax) serves as a “home away from home” for families who need to be near a hospital for their child’s medical treatment. At RMHC Jax, families are provided lodging, meals, transportation and a community of compassionate care.
RMHC Jax serves over 1500 families a year from 21 states and 14 foreign countries. In order to do so, the typically in-person volunteer base is critical to the operational success of the House. Volunteers also tend to be dedicated donors that organize offsite fundraisers and other types of awareness campaigns.
As a result of COVID-19, RMHC Jax needed to develop strategies to engage the 4000+ volunteers who have different demographics and engagement interests. In fall 2020, RMHC Jax participated in CapSource’s Live Case Competition to work with educators and students from multiple institutions to develop a strategy to leverage and engage their network of virtual volunteers along with recommendations for implementation and measuring success. The competition produced two winning teams – the Baker College Trail Blazers and Florida Institute of Technology Mavericks- each developing an action plan for building, implementing, and managing the RMHC Jax volunteer management system.
The purpose of this Internship Project is to operationalize the Volunteer Management System based upon the recommendations of the aforementioned winning teams. The outcome should provide an immediate benefit while minimizing development costs and using data to add user value over time. Given the project goal and objectives, this challenge is best suited for students with a background in computer science.
VIP Info & Engagement Details
|Company||Ronald McDonald House Charities of Jacksonville|
|Duration||9.1 Weeks (02/01/2021 - 04/06/2021)|
|Number of Student Teams Needed||1|
|Number of Interns per Team||3|
There are currently no champion assigned.
PR & Communications
Product Design & Development
Software Design & Development
February 8, 2021 - Become conversant with the original Live Case Competition challenge and resulting recommendations put forward by the two winning teams.
- Why are you doing this project?
- What is the goal of the product?
- What are the success criteria that will indicate whether or not the product you develop is successful?
March 2, 2021 - Build vs. Buy? Conduct industry research to determine the minimum viable product (MVP) volunteer management system for this client.
- What do users want and need?
- How should we prioritize product features given the overall goal of the product?
- Pay particular attention to factors such as:
- Purpose of product
- Budget and cost of the products
- Pains/gains for users of the products
- Availability of out-of-the-box software for this purpose (volunteer management system)
- Feasibility of continuous improvement of product
- Technical proficiency of software team for build out/customization
March 16, 2021 - MVP configuration and testing
- How do users engage with the platform?
- What problems, limitations, or new ideas emerge from results from user behavior research?
- What absolutely needs to be included in the MVP?
- What features could be included in future versions of the MVP?
April 5, 2021 - MVP volunteer management system launch
- What are your recommendations for ongoing testing and validation?
- What features do you recommend including in updates/improvements moving forward?